Expect some up-and-down play from top-ranked East Central, which is starting a freshman quarterback. Langston should be favored to win the Central States Football League championship. Southern Nazarene is making progress despite what the record indicates. Special mention for Northeastern A&M, which is not included in the Power Poll since it is a junior college program. But the Golden Norse is 5-1 and might be capable of giving inexperienced four-year state schools a scare.
1. East Central (3-3): Freshman QB Spencer Bond gives Tigers hope for future.
2. Southeastern State (1-4): Savage Storm has played some close games.
3. Langston (3-3): Lions pick right time to turn it on; conference play has arrived.
4. Southwestern State (1-4): Lost three straight since beating East Central, now the Power Poll No. 1.
5. Central Oklahoma (1-5): Some players need to stand in front of the mirror — do they see a winner or a loser?
6. Panhandle State (3-2): Coach Russell Gaskamp has Aggies winning.
7. Bacone (4-3): Outscored last three opponents by 153-13 margin.
8. Northeastern State (0-6): Our preseason No. 1 team. Oops.