Expect some up-and-down play from top-ranked East Central, which is starting a freshman quarterback. Langston should be favored to win the Central States Football League championship. Southern Nazarene is making progress despite what the record indicates. Special mention for Northeastern A&M, which is not included in the Power Poll since it is a junior college program. But the Golden Norse is 5-1 and might be capable of giving inexperienced four-year state schools a scare.
1. East Central (3-3): Freshman QB Spencer Bond gives Tigers hope for future.
2. Southeastern State (1-4): Savage Storm has played some close games.
3. Langston (3-3): Lions pick right time to turn it on; conference play has arrived.
4. Southwestern State (1-4): Lost three straight since beating East Central, now the Power Poll No. 1.
5. Central Oklahoma (1-5): Some players need to stand in front of the mirror — do they see a winner or a loser?
6. Panhandle State (3-2): Coach Russell Gaskamp has Aggies winning.
7. Bacone (4-3): Outscored last three opponents by 153-13 margin.
8. Northeastern State (0-6): Our preseason No. 1 team. Oops.
9. Southern Nazarene (0-6): Close games are toughest to lose.
10. Northwestern State (0-6): Some relief as four of last five games are at home.
Last week's power poll: 1. Southeastern State; 2. Central Oklahoma; 3. Southwestern State; 4. East Central; 5. Northeastern State; 6. Langston; 7. Panhandle State; 8. Bacone; 9. Southern Nazarene; 10. Northwestern State.
*Central Oklahoma (1-5) at Central Missouri (4-2), 1:30 p.m., Warrensburg, Mo.
*Arkansas Tech (3-3) at Southwestern State (1-4), 2 p.m., Weatherford
*Kilgore, Texas (6-0) at Northeastern A&M (5-1), 2 p.m., Miami, OK
*Panhandle State (3-2) at Bacone (4-3), 2 p.m., Muskogee
*Southern Arkansas (4-1) at East Central (3-3), 2 p.m., Ada
*Texas College (1-5) at Langston (3-3), 2 p.m.
*Southeastern State (1-4) at Northwestern State (0-6), 3 p.m., Alva
*Southern Nazarene (0-6) at Kansas Wesleyan (4-2), 7 p.m., Salina
Bye week: Northeastern State (0-6)