Power Poll: Northeastern State is No. 1 in Oklahoma small-college football
All but one of Oklahoma's four-year small colleges lost last week, which does not hold up the state's reputation as good football country. Granted, Northeastern State hosted defending NCAA Division II champion Pittsburgh (Kan.) State, a club favored to win it all again this season. East Central faced Northwest Missouri State, a team that might challenge Pitt State for the national crown. And Southern Nazarene, which finished 9-3 and won the Central States Football League last fall, had an ugly debut to NCAA II football. The Crimson Storm gave up 63 points to Henderson State, a team selected by coaches to win the Great American Conference.
1. Northeastern State (0-1): For a while, hung with defending NCAA Division II champ Pittsburg (Kan) State.
2. East Central (0-1): Tigers will vent frustrations Saturday vs. Southern Nazarene.
3. Central Oklahoma (0-1): Missouri Southern won — but better team might have lost.
4. Southwestern State (0-1): Trying to win at Stephen F. Austin was not an easy assignment.
5. Southeastern State (1-0): Impressive rout vs. Texas A&M-Commerce.
6. Langston (0-1): Late turnover a killer at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
7. Southern Nazarene (0-1): Rugged welcome to Division II football.
8. Bacone (1-1): Pulling out a win at Arkansas Tech would've been impressive.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort