The state of small college football in Oklahoma is not so good, especially against out-of-state competition.
The only teams to defeat non-Oklahoma schools last Saturday were Panhandle State, 62-0 over Cole College, a second-year program in Boulder, Colo., and Northeastern A&M, a 42-31 winner over Blinn of Brenham, Texas. Otherwise, Bacone, Central Oklahoma, Langston, Northeastern State, Northwestern State, Southern Nazarene and Southeastern State all lost to out-of-state programs.
1. Southwestern State (1-1): Give it up to the Bulldogs. Defeated previous Power Poll No. 1 East Central.
2. Northeastern State (0-3): RiverHawks better than record indicates.
3. East Central (1-1): Issues on offense.
4. Southeastern State (1-1): Great American Conference favorite Henderson State (Ark.) is next.
5. Central Oklahoma (0-3): Patience, Broncho fans.
6. Langston (1-2): Lion's share of woes last week against defending NAIA champion St. Xavier (Ill.)
7. Panhandle State (2-1): Aggies have won two straight under new coach Russell Gaskamp.
8. Southern Nazarene (0-3): Already matched last season's loss total.
9. Bacone (1-3): Warriors had no business playing Central Arkansas, a 70-3 winner.
10. Northwestern State (0-3): How the mighty have fallen.
Last week's power poll: 1. East Central; 2. Northeastern State; 3. Central Oklahoma; 4. Southwestern State; 5. Southeastern State; 6. Langston; 7. Southern Nazarene; 8. Bacone; 9. Northwestern State; 10. Panhandle State
Northwestern State (0-3) at Texas-San Antonio (3-0), 1 p.m.
Washburn, Kan. (3-0, No. 9 NCAA II) at Central Oklahoma (0-3), 2:35 p.m., Edmond
Arkansas-Monticello (1-2) at East Central (1-2), 6 p.m., Ada
Emporia State, Kan. (3-0) at Northeastern State (0-3), 6 p.m., Tahlequah
Harding, Ark. (2-0) at Southern Nazarene (0-3), 6 p.m., Bethany
Southeastern State (1-1) at Henderson State (3-0), 6 p.m., Arkadelphia, Ark.
Southwestern State (1-1) at Southern Arkansas (2-0), 6 p.m., Magnolia, Ark.
Bacone (1-3) at Haskell Indian Nations (0-3), 7 p.m., Lawrence, Kan.
Langston (1-2) at Lamar (1-2), 7 p.m., Beaumont, Texas
Southeast Prep, Texas (0-4) at Northeastern A&M (3-0), 7 p.m., Miami, OK
Bye week: Panhandle State (2-1)