Share “Prior sex abuse claims made against LA...”

Prior sex abuse claims made against LA teacher

Published on NewsOK Modified: January 25, 2013 at 3:16 am •  Published: January 25, 2013
Advertisement

The Pimentel case may have been the first in the district that fell under the new policy, district Superintendent John Deasy said.

"It was very close to the first, if not the first," he said. "I don't know if it was a direct result (of the Miramonte case). There was a potentially serious problem there and we acted and did what we did."

Lizarraga added that although there was a spike in parent complaints after the Miramonte case, there wasn't any tie to the Pimentel case.

"These were some really alert parents knowing their kids and noticing subtle changes in their personalities," Lizarraga said.

The accusations against Pimentel span eight months, dating back to September 2011.

In a separate case, a jury in December ordered the district to pay a boy molested by an elementary school teacher $6.9 million — among the largest awards in the history of the school system. The jury found the district liable for the repeated molestation of the 10-year-old student in 2008 and 2009 by teacher Forrest Stobbe at Queen Anne Elementary School in the city's mid-Wilshire district.

A previous report of sexual misconduct against Pimentel occurred four years ago at the school, and another complaint was made eight years ago at another elementary school where both a female principal and Pimentel had worked, Deasy said.

"My determination was that she was previously mishandling other complaints," Deasy said. "My intent was to fire them."

The district never got the chance because both Pimentel and the principal retired after the allegations surfaced last March.

"You can't fire someone who doesn't work for you," Deasy said.

Police said they will review the principal's failure to report those previous allegations.

Investigators attempted to interview Pimentel last year but he declined.