Pro-gun, gun-control activists should come together
Ever since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre the debate over gun control has been contentious. Pro-gun activists could improve their position if they'd elaborate on viable solutions to gun violence. Ted Nugent, a leading defender of gun rights, offers a possible solution by promoting “no more recidivism.” He believes dangerous criminals should never be released from prison.
NewsOK Related Articles
The pro-gun image could be further enhanced by refraining from the statement that firearms are needed to overthrow a potential tyrannical government. This talking point can influence radicals such as Timothy McVeigh, who was mad at “the government” and killed 168 Americans by blowing up a federal building. Defenders of the Second Amendment have other, excellent talking points to choose from, and can best prevent a tyrannical government by exercising their right to vote.
The bottom line is that the pro-gun and gun-control activists need to come together to seek a comprehensive solution to our country's carnage.
Cole Herndon, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in