Project of the Week: Bookcase is do-it-yourself classic
Don and Dave Runyan provide plans for carpentry projects.
A product of the Arts and Crafts movement at the beginning of the 20th century, Craftsman-style furniture is characterized by its use of common materials, handcrafted construction and functionality. Still popular today, original pieces of Craftsman furniture have become valuable antiques, and even reproductions are expensive.
Do-it-yourselfers, however, can enjoy classic Craftsman style at a fraction of the cost of an original (or even reproduction) piece. Featuring three adjustable shelves behind tempered glass doors, this handsome bookcase project has the clean lines and pleasing proportions of the pieces that inspired it.
The bookcase is made mostly from oak plywood (other woods will work) and calls for simple construction techniques that make it easy enough for beginners. Most of the cuts are straight, and the plan includes a full-size pattern for the single curved cut for the skirt. The project can be finished clear, as pictured, painted or stained dark for a traditional look.
The bookcase is 60 inches tall by 36 inches wide by 12 inches deep.
The Craftsman Bookcase plan, No. 863, is $9.95 and includes step-by-step instructions with photos, full-size patterns, construction diagrams, a materials list and cutting layout and a toll-free help line for project questions.
A package of bookcase plans, No. C118, is $21.95 and includes this plan plus two others. A free catalog picturing dozens of projects is also available. Please include $4 per order (not per item) for postage and handling and allow about two weeks for delivery.
To order by mail, clip this article and send it with a check or money order to U-Bild Features, c/o The Oklahoman, 821B S Tremont St., Oceanside, CA 92054.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims