Promoters of Oklahoma City's I-240 area look to Fort Worth, Texas, for an example
The Camp Bowie District, a revitalization effort along 9 miles of Camp Bowie Boulevard in Fort Worth, could provide ideas for property owners along Interstate 240 in south Oklahoma City. Promoters of Envision 240 plan to take a tour to Texas to find out.
Videoview all videos
Mar 4Home builder Denise Patterson, talks about how it is...
Photoview all photos
Fort Worth tour
For more information about the March 28 tour of the Camp Bowie District in Fort Worth, Texas, call the South Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce at 634-1436.
• “Redevelop outmoded retail for other uses, such as employment center civic and cultural amenities, residential and/or mixed-use centers. What goes on inside a building will change over time; what worked 10 years ago may not work today. Shopping mall conversions are taking place all over the country, generating new investment and creating new activity centers in what were once underutilized and blighted spaces.”
Southside developer P.B. Odom III said that a decade ago I-240 was “far more in need than it is today” and that Envision 240 is an effort to coordinate and bolster trends that are already under way.
The closing of Ultimate Electronics, 515 SW 74 along the interstate in 2011 and the recent acquisition of the property for US Foods' Chef'store is an example. A plan for expansion near 240 Penn Park, where Odom has land, is another.
Odom pointed to 1970s-era apartment buildings that some see as detracting from I-240's appearance and potential: As the area continues to improve, “they will be gone,” Odom said, because “the land will become too expensive” and someone will acquire them, raze them and bring the land to a higher use.
Odom said any reluctance about a coordinated effort comes from those with no long-term interest in the area.
“We have been in business over 75 years, so our thinking is generally compatible and in line with the city and state, and even the federal government, for that matter.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22069Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17657Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12691Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10660Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10002Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9693Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures