Proposed spending cuts small
President Barack Obama has become known as The Great Divider with all his class warfare antics and fair share rhetoric. We can now add “The Great Chicken Little” as he flies around the country with his gloom-and-doom predictions about his looming sequestration plan. This proposed spending cut amounts to a very small amount of money when compared with actual federal government spending! Obama proposed this sequestration plan and the Republicans and Democrats in Congress approved this “kick the can down the road” approach to avoid going over the fiscal cliff just before the election.
NewsOK Related Articles
In the private sector, businesses downsize or right-size to cut spending, to avoid bankruptcy or going out of business. I would guess that the entire proposed cut could be obtained by eliminating bureaucrats who just push paper, write mean-ingless rule books or operation manuals, telling people how to do their jobs. Probably all of these positions could be found in Washington, D.C., which would be much better than furloughing essential employees who do actual work all across the country. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there aren't enough bureaucrats of retirement age to cover this coming sequestration requirement. All of this talk is political posturing by Democrats in an effort to regain control of the House next year!
Tom Miller, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law