INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Investigators said Tuesday that no arrests have been made in connection with an Indianapolis house explosion that killed two people and destroyed at least five homes, but that authorities were still serving search warrants and questioning people.
Prosecutor Terry Curry told The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday that search warrants had been executed and people were questioned, but he declined to discuss who was questioned or where the warrants had been served.
Curry spokeswoman Brienne Delaney told The Associated Press on Tuesday evening that no arrests had been made.
"It's still a fluid situation," she said. It isn't clear how many people have been questioned.
The investigation into the Nov. 10 explosion is believed to be focusing on a house occupied by Monserrate Shirley and her boyfriend, Mark Leonard. The couple and Shirley's 12-year-old daughter were away at the time of the explosion, but the young couple next door died when their house was destroyed.
Indianapolis Homeland Security Director Gary Coons said in a statement released Tuesday night that investigators were still at work at the blast-damaged neighborhood on Indianapolis' south side.
"The investigation is still ongoing and we are still processing the scene. No arrests have been made at this time," his statement said.
Attorney Randall Cable said earlier Tuesday that Shirley and Leonard had been cooperating with investigators and were "bewildered" by Curry's announcement Monday that the investigation was considered a criminal homicide.
City arson investigators and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives concluded the blast was not an accident, Curry told the AP earlier Tuesday. The case is classified as a criminal homicide investigation because of the deaths of Jennifer and John Longworth.