Prosecutors file fourth charge against former Oklahoma State University student
Payne County prosecutors filed an additional sexual battery charge against a former Oklahoma State University student Friday afternoon. Nathan Cochran, 22, now faces four counts of sexual battery for three alleged incidents occurring between Nov. 3, 2011, and Aug. 15, 2012.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Stillwater police have said they think victims in the case could number into the dozens, with incidents occurring on campus at OSU, elsewhere in Stillwater and in Tahlequah.
University officials learned of the assault reports Nov. 12, but concerns over federal student privacy laws led them not to share this information with police. Instead, they held conduct hearings resulting in a decision to suspend Cochran from the university for three years beginning with the end of the fall 2012 semester.
Police opened an investigation into the sexual assault cases Dec. 7, after a reporter from the campus newspaper contacted the department with questions about the incidents. That investigation began 3½ weeks after OSU officials became aware of the matter.
Cochran's attorneys did not return calls for comment.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister