Proud Pettine eager to turn Bills defense around
Under Pettine, New York's defense has not ranked lower than eighth in the NFL in yards allowed. And that includes a top ranking in 2009. The Jets were known for being a 3-4 team the past four seasons, but Pettine said that is a "misconception."
"The cornerstone of our system is its flexibility and its multiplicity," he said. "We'll be in 3-4, we'll be in 4-3, we'll be in 46. If you can draw up a front, we'll probably be in it."
Pettine was more forthcoming about the attacking style the Bills will play.
"We're going to play smart, we're going to be tough, we're going to be relentless," he said. "We're going to put pressure on you. We're going to force quarterbacks, we're going to force offenses to make very quick decisions. We're going to take our best shot at you. We're not going to be a read-and-react defense. That is not in our vocabulary."
Marrone has "always been an admirer" of Pettine's and that he boarded a flight to meet with him immediately after being introduced in Buffalo Jan. 21.
"Having more of a background on the offensive side of the ball ... you look for someone that has caused a lot of problems for offenses around the NFL. Someone that you don't ever want to play against," Marrone said. "When that was going through my mind, it kept coming around to one name."
Pettine said he received several calls from mutual friends urging him to go work for Marrone.
"It got to the point," Pettine said, "where I was literally answering the phone and saying if you are calling me to tell me how good of a guy Doug is and how great he is going to be to work for, I'd say, 'I already got that. You got anything else?'"
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena