Public Hanukkah lightings planned in many cities
NEW YORK (AP) — Menorah lightings to mark the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah are planned near the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, the Ellipse in Washington D.C. and in many other cities around the world.
In London, a menorah lighting is scheduled for Dec. 10, at 6 p.m. in Trafalgar Square. In Paris, a lighting planned for Dec. 9 at 8 p.m. will include a concert with live Jewish music and a live video link to menorah lightings in New York and Jerusalem at the Western Wall. In Berlin, the menorah lighting will take place Dec. 9, at 6:30 p.m.
In New York, a "Hanukkah on ice" event is planned for Dec. 10, 6 p.m.-9 p.m., with a concert and skating party at the rink in Central Park just north of the 59th Street entrance. At 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, a giant menorah carved from blocks of ice will be lit Dec. 11, at 6 p.m.
In Washington, the National Menorah Lighting is scheduled for 4 p.m. Dec. 9 at the Ellipse near the White House, with performances by the U.S. Navy Band and a musical group called The Three Cantors.
In Miami, the Miami Heat host a Jewish heritage night at the basketball team's Dec. 12 game at American Airlines Arena. A menorah will be lit at half-time and a Hanukkah party will be held on the court after the game.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister