PURCELL — The first-degree murder trial of Kevin Ray Underwood, who police said intended to eat a girl's body, was moved Thursday to June 1 in McClain County. But Underwood's defense team told District Judge Candace Blalock they plan to file a motion to move the trial out of the county, which could affect the start of the trial.
Underwood, 26, was arrested in the death of 10-year-old Jamie Rose Bolin, who was found dead inside Underwood's apartment in April.
Blalock also set May 29 as the case's final pretrial date. The case had been scheduled for trial May 7.
Underwood was ushered into court by two sheriff's deputies with his hands shackled together, wearing an orange inmate suit. He occasionally shook his head up and down to one of his attorneys during the 20-minute status conference.
Mostly, he stared toward the ground near the front of the courtroom.
He no longer had the beard he had at his last court appearance in September. His hair was also shorter.
Defense attorney Silas Lyman said he plans to file a change of venue motion by Jan. 15. He said he thinks the motion can be filed without affecting the trial's start date.
Assistant District Attorney Rick Sitzman said he will object to the motion, which Blalock could rule on by the end of January or early February.