Put agenda aside for now
As I stood at my son's grave to check on the Christmas tree I bought him, I couldn't help but think of those lives cut short in Sandy Hook, Conn. My heart ached for the families, knowing the utter despair they'll feel for months and years. This isn't about gun control, whether you're for or against it. As a mother who has lost a son, I would be peeved that people who have no idea what it's like to lose a child make my son's death about anything political or to further their own agenda.
NewsOK Related Articles
While you debate your “freedom” to have or not have a gun, families are burying their loved ones. Under Christmas trees are presents that will not be opened. No giggles of children on Christmas. Every Christmas, the only present those who are left behind will be able to get for their loved ones are grave decorations. I can't begin to tell you the pain they are feeling and will feel. I doubt that they give a flying fig about your views on guns right now.
So to those spouting their right to own a gun or their reasoning for getting rid of them — stop it! Put your agenda aside for awhile and hurt with these people. Be there for them. Give them time to grieve and begin to heal. Don't you dare try to justify your “right” to me. Not now.
Carla Nickles, Midwest City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims