Putnam City's twin wrestlers motivated after last season's disappointment
Sophomores Keegan and Zach Moore expect better results this season. Moores' tutor is uncle Hardell Moore, an All-American at Oklahoma State.
Putnam City's Keegan and Zach Moore each had different endings to last season, but the same disappointment.
Keegan finished third in the 120-pound division in Class 6A, losing in the semifinals for just his second loss. Zach's season, though, ended in regionals with a shoulder injury.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Now as sophomores, the identical twins are looking to build off that experience.
And they are getting some help not only from veteran Putnam City coach Steve Ferguson, but from their uncle Hardell Moore, who was a two-time All-American at Oklahoma State in the late ‘90s.
“He's been the role model,” Zach said about Hardell, who has coached them since they were 4. “He's the one who helped us start wrestling, and he's the one why I still wrestle because I want to be remembered like he is at OSU.”
Their other uncle, Howard, was a two-time national champion at Central Oklahoma, giving them a strong wrestling pedigree few can match.
Keegan will wrestle at 132 pounds this season, while Zach enters at 138. Both are higher weights than last season, but neither has lost confidence.
“Whenever I lost, it was like I shouldn't have lost,” Keegan said. “This year all I want to do is dominate everyone and hopefully nothing will hold me back like injuries or anything.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister