Class A football: QB Jace Brown made early impression on Wynnewood coach
Wynnewood quarterback Jace Brown will be playing his final high school football game Saturday as the Savages face Ringling for the Class A title. But his coach knew he'd be special from the first time he led a drive down the field.
WYNNEWOOD — Jace Brown's first drive at Wynnewood was a memorable one.
He hopes his last will offer even better memories.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The senior quarterback will guide the Savages against Ringling in the Class A state championship at 1 p.m. Saturday in Stillwater.
“It's pretty nice knowing that all your work in the summer and in two-a-days is paying off,” Brown said. “It's finally here and we have a chance to be a state champion and playing in Boone Pickens Stadium is pretty nice.”
When Brad O'Steen arrived at Wynnewood, it didn't take him long to realize the freshman would give his team the best chance to win.
“From the first day of practice, we knew,” O'Steen said. “He understands what his role is and does what it takes to help us win.”
Once Brown got on the field in a game situation, O'Steen's feelings were quickly confirmed.
In the 2009 season opener against a Davis team that went on to go 12-1, Brown marched Wynnewood right down the field on the first drive, throwing a touchdown pass to put the Savages on the board.
“That was kind of a realizing moment that this could be my job as the quarterback,” Brown said.
Wynnewood went on to lose that game 49-14, but the way Brown handled that initial jolt of pressure stuck with O'Steen.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located