I usually marinate notoriously tough skirt steak overnight with 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup port wine and 1/3 cup jalapeno brine. But a good rub and some chile oil offer a great solution when you either forgot to marinate or take marinating beef on the road. If you don't have chile oil, simply put a cup of vegetable or soybean oil in a pot. Light a burner to the lowest setting and drop in a handful of dried chiles or chile flakes. You may also use sambal oelek. After no less than 10 and up to 30 minutes, strain the oil into a container that has a lid.
This preparation of skirt steak is perfect for classic fajitas, but it is equally good on hoagie rolls or sliced and eaten with your fingers.
1/4 cup chili oil
2 tablespoons Sweet and Spicy All-Purpose Rub, or your favorite rub or chile powder
• Light a fire on half of the grill. If using gas, light half the burners.
• Grill steak over direct heat 1 minute to 90 seconds per side, depending on the thickness. Once each side is well-seared, move to unlighted side of grill and cover. Let roast 6 to 8 minutes.
• Let stand at least five minutes. Slice against the grain and serve on tortillas with your choice of salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream.
Sweet and Spicy All-Purpose Rub
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sea salt
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons toasted, ground coriander seed
2 tablespoons toasted, ground cumin seed
2 tablespoons toasted, ground tellicherry pepper
1-2 teaspoons chile de arbol or cayenne pepper
• Source: Dave Cathey.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 81417Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31213Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 29647Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8211Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7508Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7403Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday