Race-baiters disregard social turmoil
James Mitchell (Your Views, April 9) promotes a paranoid fantasy that only helps to tear the country apart. Actual crime statistic numbers don't support the charge of a racist justice system or of brutal white oppression of black Americans. According to the U.S. Bureau of Crime Statistics, the occurrence of black-on-white violent crime is 57.5 times more frequent than white-on-black, but this fact seems to elude the media.
NewsOK Related Articles
What stands between the black and white communities is the glamorization of the “gangsta” culture. Young black men who buy into this vision enjoy the fear they see in (white or black) people's eyes when approached by someone dressed “thug style.” They seek to develop an “in-your-face” attitude to any possible confrontation as a way of getting what they want. That this style of dress and action can sometimes result in a violent response should be no surprise, and it's wrong to characterize this as a racist act.
I lay this current turmoil at the feet of those whom J.C. Watts calls “race-baiting poverty pimps” who disregard the social turmoil of their self-promoting actions. Dumping the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons would be a good start.
Pat Kelley, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in