H: ° L: °,
Rangers top prospect Profar passing on WBC
SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — Texas Rangers top prospect Jurickson Profar has decided against playing in the World Baseball Classic.
Profar has a chance to earn a spot on the Rangers' 25-man roster and has informed the team he won't leave camp to play for the Dutch team. The infielder turns 20 on Wednesday.
Texas general manager Jon Daniels said Monday that it was a tough decision for Profar, but that the team left it up to him.
Shortstop Elvis Andrus is among Texas players planning to go to the WBC. His absence from camp should provide extra time in spring training games for Profar.
Profar was called up last September and became only the third teenager in major league history to homer in his first at-bat.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater