Upset losses produce big ratings
Upset losses by Oklahoma State and Oklahoma produced larger than normal ratings for ESPN and ABC last weekend. OSU's loss to Iowa State received a 25.5 rating on ESPN in Oklahoma City and a 3.0 national rating, representing 4 million viewers. The national average was well above ESPN's Friday night telecast averages of 1.8 rating and 2.3 million.
OU's loss to Baylor produced a 36.5 rating on KOCO-5. Combined with the USC-Oregon telecast, which went to most of the nation, ABC received a 5.8 overnight rating, also above the network average. The conclusion of the OU-Baylor game was broadcast nationally.
Sports events Nov. 15-22
1. Oklahoma at Baylor, college football, Saturday, KOCO-5, 36.5.
2. Iowa State at Oklahoma State, college football, Friday, ESPN, 25.5.
3. Philadelphia at N.Y. Giants, NFL, Sunday, KFOR-4, 12.2.
4. Dallas at Washington, NFL, Sunday, KOKH-25, 10.5.
5. San Diego at Chicago, NFL, Sunday, KWTV-9, 10.5.