OU's 45-31 victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl topped the week with a 34.7 rating on ESPN in the Oklahoma City market. The rating was down slightly from the Sooners' Cotton Bowl loss to Texas A&M last year on KOKH-25 (35.1). OSU's rating in the Cotton Bowl (31.3) was well ahead of last year's appearance against Purdue in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (12.1). The Thunder earned its second-highest rating ever on Fox Sports Oklahoma with a 12.8 against Portland on New Year's Eve, but took a downturn the rest of the week (6.0, vs. Brooklyn; 7.2, at Minnesota; 8.3, vs. Boston). Through Dec. 31, the Thunder was averaging a 9.1 on FSOK and led the league in local TV ratings, well ahead of San Antonio (7.2 on Fox Sports Southwest) and Miami (6.7 on Sun Sports).
Sports events Dec. 31-Jan. 6
1. Oklahoma vs. Alabama, Sugar Bowl, Thursday, ESPN, 34.7.
2. Oklahoma State vs. Missouri, Cotton Bowl, Friday, KOKH-25, 31.3.
3. San Francisco at Green Bay, NFL playoffs, Sunday, KOKH-25, 22.4.
4. Florida State vs. Auburn, BCS championship, Sunday, KWTV-9, 21.5.
5. New Orleans at Philadelphia, NFL playoffs, Saturday, KFOR-4, 16.2.