Re-enactment places Oklahoma City church at 'manger'
Church members at New Covenant Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in northwest Oklahoma City re-enact the first Christmas.
Carlotta Canada, 67, donned a white garment and wings to become an angel.
Carson Lyda, 15, Tom Lyda's son, also portrayed Joseph.
Marcy Finch, 37, said she has childhood memories of going to drive-thru living nativity pageants with her parents.
“Now, I'm getting to be a part of it so I've come full circle,” she said.
Finch said portraying Mary, the mother of Jesus, resonated with her.
“Being a mother myself, when they tell us to look reverently at the baby, I connect with that,” she said. “And it is a humbling experience to play Mary because of the fact that God chose her.”
James Finch, 38, said being a stepfather to Kenny Larson, 7, has given him a new perspective of the biblical figure Joseph.
“Most people don't think of him that way, but I do. He stepped right in there and became a father to Jesus,” he said.
Canada said the Dec. 16 event at New Covenant was the first time she had participated in a living Christmas pageant.
“When we sang Christmas carols, it was kind of solemn,” she said. “It gives you a chance as you are standing there, to think what it might have been like.”
Carson Lyda said he found portraying Joseph meaningful.
“He was a paternal figure and he was Mary's partner through it all,” he said.
Church members said all of the effort is worthwhile to remind the community about the real meaning of Christmas — the birth of the Messiah.
“It helps people, especially children remember that it's not just all about Santa Claus and the decorations and the gifts,” James Finch said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M