Reaction to death of former NYC Mayor Ed Koch
Reaction to death of former New York City Mayor Ed Koch:
"Ed Koch was an extraordinary mayor, irrepressible character, and quintessential New Yorker. ... In public office and beyond, his energy, force of personality, and commitment to causes ranging from civic issues to the security of the state of Israel always informed and enlivened the public discourse." — President Barack Obama.
"He was a man whose convictions ran deep. You knew where Ed stood on any topic, and whether or not you agreed with him or what he said, you couldn't help but like him." — Former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
"Ed Koch embodied the highest ideals of public service, and his life was dedicated toward making New York— the city and our state — a better place for all." — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
"In elected office and as a private citizen, he was our most tireless, fearless, and guileless civic crusader. Through his tough, determined leadership and responsible fiscal stewardship, Ed helped lift the city out of its darkest days and set it on course for an incredible comeback." — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
"Every atom in his body lived, breathed, spoke and exuded the city. He helped save the city and, perhaps most important of all, gave it confidence when it was beginning to doubt itself, which helped pave the way for the growth and prosperity we're still experiencing today." — U.S. Sen. Charles E. Schumer
"Ed Koch personified the spirit of New York. New York's mayor for life is now New York's mayor for eternity. May he rest in peace." — U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.
"Although we disagreed on politics ... I have found that he was never a phony or a hypocrite. He would not patronize or deceive you. He said what he meant. He meant what he said. He fought for what he believed." — Rev. Al Sharpton, president of National Action Network.
"From his outspoken honesty, to his great New York accent, Hizzoner was larger than life. His wit, his wisdom, his candor and his irrepressible spirit will be sorely missed." — Former New York Gov. George Pataki.
"He helped a lot of people. ... I have an appreciation of his work as a public servant." — The Rev. Jesse Jackson.
"He's the guy who saved our city. He paid off the loans on the federal government, ahead of time. So he did a lot of good stuff." — Former New York City Mayor David Dinkins.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister