13th Architectural Tour is set
The American Institute of Architects Central Oklahoma Chapter will have its 13th annual self-guided Architectural Tour from noon to 5 p.m. April 12. It will include residences and commercial buildings as part of Architecture Week, April 7-13.
Tickets go on sale March 31 and can be purchased online at www.aiacoc.org/tour or at TAP Architecture, 415 N Broadway or the AIA Central Oklahoma office, 3535 N Classen Blvd. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 the day of the tour at any stop. Tour stops include:
Walters Home — 6219 Riviera Drive, owned by former governor David and Rhonda Walters. The renovation architect for the project was James Loftis Architects. The 7,800-square-foot home, built in 1963, is a former home of deep gas pioneer Robert A. Hefner III.
430 — 430 NW 12, owned by Midtown Renaissance Group. The architect is Fitzsimmons Architects. The nondescript two-story office building constructed in 1955 was converted to apartments and a third story added, increasing the area from 14,160 to 22,336 square feet.
Calvary Baptist Church — 300 N Walker, owned by Joy and Dan Davis. The architect is MODA. The building went on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 based on architectural and cultural significance for its pivotal role in the civil rights movement in Oklahoma City. Converted to office use and Dan Davis Law Firm.
Guardian Lofts — 1117 N Robinson Ave., owned by Midtown Renaissance Group. The architect for the project is Fitzsimmons Architects. The 90-year-old, 40,000-square-foot historic warehouse was an adaptive-reuse project now with 37 apartments and a ground-level restaurant.
Kliewer Home — 2801 NE 120. “The Restoration of an Icon” refers to both the status of the residence as an AIA Award-winning design in 1970 as well as the status of the original designer and inhabitant, architect George Seminoff. The home is owned by Brent Kliewer and Fitzsimmons Architects is the restoration architect.
Small Architects — 108 S Broadway in Edmond, is owned by architect Thomas Small. Small Architects is the architect. The 1906 building originally housed a jeweler on the first floor and a funeral parlor on the second. Small Architects purchased the building in 2011 and began a total rehabilitation.
Mass Home — 1721 NE 63, owned by Duane and Robin Mass and designed by Mass Architects Inc. A small frame cottage was expanded and transformed into a family home on 5 acres of Persimmon Hill.
Hart Building — 726 W Sheridan, owned Hart Partners, designed by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris LLC. The former home of Hart Industrial Supply Co. was restored and combined with new elements to create a mixed-use workplace, including 40,000 square feet of Class A office space.