Recalls this week: Window blinds, power strips

Associated Press Modified: September 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm •  Published: September 7, 2012

The death of a Michigan toddler who reportedly strangled in the cord of a window blind prompted the recall of more than 450,000 such blinds this week. Four-outlet power strips that pose a risk of electrical shock also were recalled.

A rundown of the recalled products and the problems entailed:



DETAILS: Horizontal and vertical blinds manufactured in the United States by Blinds Xpress of Livonia, Mich. The blinds were sold from January 1995 through December 2011 at stores in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

WHY: The custom vertical blinds have an adjustment cord that forms a loop that is not attached to the wall or floor. In some instances, this loop has a weighted device at the bottom. The custom horizontal blinds do not have inner cord stop devices to prevent the accessible inner cords from being pulled out. A child can become entangled in a cord loop and strangle.

INCIDENTS: In 2009, a 2-year-old girl from Commerce Township, Mich., died of reported strangulation in the loop of a vertical blind cord.

| |


Trending Now


  1. 1
    Check out the Thunder postseason playlist
  2. 2
    VIDEO: Blake Griffin dumps water on a fan
  3. 3
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes calls drug suspension unfair
  4. 4
    Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
  5. 5
    Peaches Geldof Funeral to Be Held on Easter Monday
+ show more