Recipe Redux: Beef Mac and Cheese Casserole can be healthy
Dietitian Becky Varner gives classic beef macaroni and cheese a healthful makeover.
Original Classic Macaroni and Cheese with Beef Casserole Recipe
2 cups regular macaroni
8 cups hot water
1 pound 80-20 ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Modified Macaroni and Cheese with Beef Casserole Recipe
2 cups (8 ounces) whole grain wheat macaroni
8 cups hot water
1 pound 93-7 fat ground beef
2 cups water
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried basil
4 cups diced canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese made with 2 percent fat milk
Nutrition Information: This recipe makes 8 servings. Each serving contains approximately 254 calories and 7 grams fat.
Cook's notes: Adding a simple green salad with a light dressing and a dessert of fruit with yogurt provides something from every food group in MyPlate.
*Allow liquid to reach room temperature, cover and refrigerate. When cold, the fat will surface and can easily be removed. The remaining defatted stock can be added in soups or to season vegetables. Use within a couple of days or freeze for later use.
We used 93 percent lean-7 percent fat ground beef instead of 80 percent lean-20 percent fat ground beef.
We used the juice from the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey and seasonings for the sauce and sprinkle the casserole with cheese made with 2 percent fat milk instead of using a cream sauce made with butter, whole milk, flour, seasonings and whole milk cheese.
We also used whole wheat pasta instead of regular to provide a serving of whole grain instead of a refined grain.
These modifications resulted in a savings of 147 calories per serving and a savings of 23 grams of fat per serving.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law