Recruiting and social media: Twitter leads to new set of compliance problems
The athletic compliance offices at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State each dedicate time and resources to monitoring social media activity, but the very nature of the Internet makes it impossible to stop all of it.
Videoview all videos
Feb 4Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell discuss Ben Grogan of...
Feb 4Thomas stunned OU co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Cease from contacting our prospective student-athletes via Twitter or any other means per NCAA rules,” Fite tweeted at the offender.
After a terse exchange, Fite instructed all official OSU athletics Twitter accounts to block that particular fan.
The NCAA's definition for a “Representative of Athletics Interests” — laid out in NCAA bylaw 13.02.14 — is fairly broad, which is why Fite would rather be safe than sorry.
“The threshold, I would say, is pretty thin,” Fite said. “Basically, no one can. Let their coaches do their job.”
More than a year ago, Oklahoma's compliance office hired Rob Robinson, a compliance coordinator whose duties largely involve monitoring social media.
Even with such a commitment to the cause, though, the OU athletics department still struggles with social media recruiting problems.
“That's the unfortunate part of the NCAA process,” said Jason Leonard, OU's executive director for athletic compliance. “We're working within a system that you can't do 100 percent.
“There is no, ‘Do X, Y and Z.' I wish there was. It'd be awesome. It'd make my job a lot easier. There are things that still occur here, that — even if we had 100 people on the compliance staff — we still can't catch it all.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit