BOSTON (AP) — The Red Sox received their 2013 World Series championship rings on Friday during a ceremony that also honored victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and two firefighters who died in a blaze last week.
As the ceremony began before the game against the Milwaukee Brewers, banners for Red Sox championship teams from 1903, '12, '15, '16, '18, 2004, '07 and '13 were lowered from the top of the Green Monster.
Family members of victims who died in the bombing last April and survivors walked in from the left-field wall with the rings. John Henry and other members of the ownership group presented them to manager John Farrell, coaches, players and other personnel. Then co-workers from the same station as Lt. Edward J. Walsh and firefighter Michael R. Kennedy walked into center field and embraced and stood beside the players.
Fenway Park is served by the station, located less than 2 miles away.
The ceremony lasted about 50 minutes and preceded Boston's first game at Fenway Park since it won the World Series there on Oct. 30 by beating the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 in Game 6.
"This is a day we should all enjoy," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
Dustin Pedroia was the first player introduced, and David Ortiz received the loudest ovation when he was the last player who trotted out of the dugout to receive his ring. He also was given a ring for being part of all three Red Sox championship teams over the past 10 seasons.
Two players no longer active in the Red Sox organization also received rings: outfielder Quintin Berry and right-hander Ryan Dempster.
Dempster announced at the start of spring training he will not play this year because of physical and personal reasons.
"It's just fun to be back around the guys a little bit," said Dempster, who was 8-9 with a 4.57 ERA in his only season with Boston. "It's incredible. It's going to be a special moment, something that you play your whole career for."
Continue reading this story on the...