RedHawks win without Tony DeFrancesco
ROUND ROCK, Texas — Oklahoma City catcher Carlos Corporan drove in three runs, and the RedHawks' bullpen was flawless Sunday night in a 5-2 victory over the Round Rock Express at The Dell Diamond.
Oklahoma City played its first game without manager Tony DeFrancesco, who was named the interim manager of the Houston Astros earlier Sunday. Pitching coach Leon Roberts managed Sunday's game.
Corporan went 3 for 4 and delivered a two-run single in the top of the seventh that gave the RedHawks the lead for good. He added an insurance run with an RBI double in the ninth.
Oklahoma City starter Fernando Abad pitched a season-high 5 1/3 innings, and the bullpen threw a shutout the rest of the way.
Jose Valdez earned his 16th save of the season, but not before loading the bases. He struck out Brad Nelson for the final out.
Mark Hamburger (1-5) earned the win with 1 2/3 innings of relief.
Round Rock (59-70) took a 1-0 lead in the first on Julio Borbon's leadoff home run and then a 2-0 lead in the second when former Lawton Eisenhower standout Koyie Hill drove in a run with a single.
But the RedHawks (68-60) tied the game with two runs in the fourth.
The two teams continue their series on Monday at 7:05 p.m.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss