Reds lose 19-game winner Johnny Cueto to injury
The Reds turned to winning pitcher Sam LeCure and got four innings of relief from Mat Latos on three days' rest for the first time in his career, followed by three more relievers.
Cueto threw eight pitches and six strikes for the earliest postseason exit by a starter since Atlanta's John Thomson lasted one-third of an inning in Game 3 of a 2004 NL division series against Houston. Thomson came out with a sore muscle in his left side.
"When Johnny went down, I was like: 'Gosh, oh no, we're done. Why? Why? Why?'" Brandon Phillips said. "We're out there talking, and we're like, 'Let's win this for Johnny.'"
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister