Share “Redskins QB Griffin leaves loss with...”

Redskins QB Griffin leaves loss with concussion

Associated Press Modified: October 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm •  Published: October 7, 2012

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) — After taking a shot to his helmet while scrambling to try to avoid a sack, Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III stayed face-down for a few moments Sunday, then eventually staggered to his feet with what doctors determined was a concussion.

For Griffin, also treated for a cut on his chin after the third-and-goal play, the game was over about 10 minutes into the second half of Washington's 24-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

Exactly the sort of thing everyone around the Redskins has been worrying about with the aggressive, never-avoid-a-hit Heisman Trophy winner.

"He wasn't sure what quarter it was in the third quarter. So at that time, when he wasn't really sure what the score was, what the quarter was, we knew he had a mild concussion — at least according to the doctors," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said after his team fell to 2-3. "It feels good right now; a lot better right now. But that was ... why he didn't go back into the game."

Team spokesman Tony Wyllie said Griffin was examined by a neurologist in the locker room before being sent home from the team's stadium and will be evaluated again Monday. NFL rules require a player diagnosed by the team medical staff with a concussion to sit out the rest of the game. The player also can't return to practice or game action until a team doctor and independent neurologist clear him.

Griffin was not in the locker room after Washington's eighth consecutive home loss, but about three hours later, he wrote on Twitter: "I'm ok and I think after all the testing I will play next week."

The Redskins announced in the press box during the game that Griffin was "shaken up" and his return was "questionable" — and never updated his status. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would look into whether the Redskins followed a league requirement that teams are accurate and timely in reporting injury information.

"I knew it was a big hit, and I knew after he laid down that something was wrong," Redskins running back Alfred Morris said. "So I was like, 'Oh, no.' I said a prayer for him."

Said Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander: "Obviously, it's a scary situation. Hopefully he's able to recover. Never want to rush a guy back like that. ... Hopefully Robert's able to get back as quick as possible — but only when he's completely healthy. Because once you get one concussion, they can occur rapidly if you go out there too soon."

Near the Falcons' sideline while trying to find someone to throw to in a 7-7 game, the No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft fell forward while being tripped up by one defender. Griffin's helmet slammed into the side of Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon.

Continue reading this story on the...