Redskins' S Bernstine out for year; Pugh signed
ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — Washington Redskins rookie safety Jordan Bernstine is out for the season with torn ligaments in his right knee.
The Redskins placed Bernstine on injured reserve Monday and moved quickly to replace him by signing third-year safety Jordan Pugh, who was cut this month by the Carolina Panthers.
Seventh-round pick Bernstine was injured on a kickoff in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 40-32 win over the New Orleans Saints.
The safety position was already depleted because of Brandon Meriweather's knee injury and Tanard Jackson's season-long suspension for failing a drug test.
Also, coach Mike Shanahan said X-rays were negative on receiver Pierre Garcon's sore right foot. The coach said Garcon will have to play through some pain in the foot and will be reevaluated later in the week.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed