Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma backpack project to benefit hungry children
For every backpack purchased through Backpacks with a Purpose, two will be donated to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
The Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma is partnering with Backpacks With A Purpose to fight childhood hunger.
For every backpack purchased, two backpacks will be donated to the food bank.
TO LEARN MORE
To make a donation to the Regional Food Bank, go to regionalfoodbank.org or call 972-1111. To purchase a backpack, go to b-wap.
The backpacks will be used in the Food for Kids Backpack Program.
Additionally, for every “like” the program receives on Facebook, a dollar will be donated to the Regional Food Bank, up to $1,500.
“We are very thankful for this partnership, which will allow us to further grow our Backpack Program to feed chronically hungry elementary schoolchildren in our state,” said Rodney Bivens, executive director of the Regional Food Bank.
“Last year, more than 13,500 children in 475 schools benefited from the program, yet there are still children in need of our help.”
The food bank launched the backpack program in 2003 after learning about an elementary student who fainted while waiting in the lunch line on a Monday morning because he had very little to eat over the weekend.
Through the program, children receive a backpack full of nonperishable and nutritious food on Friday to sustain them over weekends and school holidays.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims