Remington Park celebrates 25th anniversary, spring quarter horse season opens
It's a landmark anniversary for a racetrack that several years ago appeared to be lifeless.
Remington Park celebrates its 25th anniversary Friday with the opening of the spring quarter horse and mixed breed season.
It's a landmark anniversary for a racetrack that several years ago appeared to be lifeless. But with the addition of the casino at Remington Park and its new owner, Global Gaming Solutions, pumping millions of dollars to renovate it, the racetrack now shines again.
NewsOK Related Articles
“It's had such an up and down existence, having undergone numerous ownership changes,” said Scott Wells, president and general manager of Remington Park. “The state it's in today is probably the best condition it's ever been in, both financially and in a physical sense.”
Wells said the racetrack had no “curbside appeal” when he arrived eight years ago.
“When I first got here, there were some weeds and even some corn growing in the parking lot,” he said.
“We have just done a lot of things to beautify it. You want to drive into a place that feels glamorous. When Remington Park first opened, it was a glamorous deal, and we've restored that.”
More evidence of the racetrack's resurgence is that all overnight quarter horse purses are receiving a $500 increase at the start of the season.
Also, Wells was just elected president of the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, a group that represents 48 racetrack owners in North America.
“The reputation that Remington Park has established the past few years has put us on the map in a big way,” Wells said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena