Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Sally KernKern and Loyce Newton-Edwards, president of Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays, originally described the meeting as cordial. But two days after meeting with representatives of Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays, Kern said she would not meet with them again because they "have taken my statements and have spun them to make it appear that I am backing off my comments that homosexuality is a sin.” Wednesday's release of the recording of that meeting is the latest round of a verbal battle between Kern and members of the gay community since segments of a presentation she made to a Republican Party club were made public on YouTube last month.
Rep. Kern says gay group took too much from cordial meeting
A gay rights group released a 40-minute audio recording Wednesday of a meeting between members of the group and state Rep. Sally Kern in hopes of shedding light on the content and context of that meeting.
Despite talks, rancor continuesIn the days after that meeting, Kern said she was alarmed by the number of thank-you e-mails she received from the gay community. "I told them that I did not think homosexuals should be fired just because they are homosexuals. They took that as meaning I supported sexual orientation preferences, and I do not,” Kern said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims