The NCAA Football Rules Committee will reconsider next week a controversial proposal to slow down college football’s hurry-up offenses, USA Today reported Thursday afternoon.
Earlier this month, the committee approved the proposal — which would require offenses to wait 10 seconds before snapping the ball, except in the final two minutes of each half — and it is set to go before the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on March 6 for final approval.
Rogers Redding, the NCAA’s coordinator of officiating, told USA Today that the process is routine, but added that “it’s gonna look out of the ordinary” because of the overwhelming negative response the proposal has received from coaches around the country.
The rules committee will consider feedback from coaches, and could decide to modify or withdraw the proposal.
Redding also told the newspaper that the committee will consider unofficial feedback as well, including the anonymous ESPN.com survey of head coaches, 73 percent of whom said they were opposed to the rule change.
Alabama’s Nick Saban and Arkansas’ Bret Bielema have been the biggest proponents of the rule change. Both have said it is a player safety issue, although little-to-no solid evidence actually exists that supports that claim.
Both Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy have publicly announced their opposition to the proposed rule.