Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Oklahoman conducted a 64-team NCAA Tournament-like bracket contest. Thunder defeated Outlaws in the finals. Dan Mahoney, a spokesman for the Oklahoma City NBA franchise, said Saturday night no one with the organization would comment on KOCO's report. "We're not commenting on the name process until we have something ready to announce,” Mahoney said, adding no press conferences are scheduled. NBA officials said earlier this week they expect something to be announced next month but added the entire process — a nickname, logos and uniforms — could stretch into September. Oklahoma City owner Clay Bennett has said privately he prefers a nickname that ends with the letter "s” instead of a singular name nickname, but Bennett added that he and his partners would consider several options. Bennett's only comment was made at a July 2 press conference when he said, "We've absorbed the flavor of what the citizens have considered.
Report: Team picks Thunder
If a television report is accurate, owners of the Oklahoma City NBA team will have listened to the fans.KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City is reporting the team's name will be the Oklahoma City Thunder. That's the nickname that won The Oklahoman's contest, which was determined by internet fan balloting. The ABC affiliate cited a source close to the ownership group that Thunder will be the nickname for the NBA franchise that moved to Oklahoma City from Seattle earlier this month.
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad