Reports of assaults, sex crimes rise at some Oklahoma universities in 2011
The latest campus crime statistics show Langston University leads Oklahoma in aggravated assaults, while reports of forcible sex crimes increased last year at Oklahoma’s two largest universities.
Langston University Police Chief Frank Atkinson has only been on campus since August. But already the students have a nickname for him — “Homeland Security.”
Building a rapport with students on campus is a big part of Atkinson’s role, he said. But as for the nickname, he said he doesn’t know much about it.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater