Reports of assaults, sex crimes rise at some Oklahoma universities in 2011
The latest campus crime statistics show Langston University leads Oklahoma in aggravated assaults, while reports of forcible sex crimes increased last year at Oklahoma’s two largest universities.
Langston University Police Chief Frank Atkinson has only been on campus since August. But already the students have a nickname for him — “Homeland Security.”
Building a rapport with students on campus is a big part of Atkinson’s role, he said. But as for the nickname, he said he doesn’t know much about it.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims