Reynolds leads Navy past Central Michigan, 31-13
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. (AP) — Navy's triple option worked so well the Midshipmen added a wrinkle.
Keenan Reynolds threw three touchdown passes — two on play-action calls — to lead Navy to its second straight victory, 31-13 over Central Michigan.
Reynolds, a freshman who filled in for injured starter Trey Miller and rallied Navy to an overtime victory last week at Air Force, was 6 of 11 for 139 yards and also ran for 59 yards for the Midshipmen (3-3).
"Our playmakers were running wild," he said. "I had to get them the ball. I felt comfortable throwing the ball."
Making his first career start, Reynolds became the first Navy quarterback to throw three touchdown passes since Chris McCoy against Colgate in 1997.
"He showed great composure," coach Ken Niumatalolo said. "We're super impressed with him."
Twelve of the Midshipmen's first 14 plays were runs, but Reynolds caught the Chippewas over-playing the run on the final plays of Navy's first two drives. He found a wide-open Brandon Turner for a 23-yard strike on a play-action pass and hit Gee Gee Greene with a 19-yarder on an almost identical play later in the first quarter.
Reynolds teamed with Greene again on a 41-yard scoring pass in the third quarter.
"It's kind of rare to have a plebe come out with the performance he did, but he did very well," Greene said about the freshman quarterback."
The Midshipmen outgained the Chippewas (2-4) 238-70 on the ground. Noah Copeland ran for 70 yards on 15 carries, and Prentice Christian finished with 64 yards and a touchdown on 13 tries.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims