Richard Buck replaces John Darby as Cup director

Published on NewsOK Modified: January 9, 2014 at 12:59 pm •  Published: January 9, 2014
Advertisement
;

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Four years after launching a search for a new Sprint Cup Series director, NASCAR finally found a replacement for garage boss John Darby.

Richard Buck, winner of five Indianapolis 500s as a crew chief and most recently the vice president of racing operations for the International Motor Sports Association, will take over for Darby after the Rolex 24 at Daytona at the end of the month.

Darby, who has been Cup director for the last 12 years, will remain managing director of competition for NASCAR.

"What we've seen over the past few years is there needs to be a better process," said NASCAR President Mike Helton. "That better process is going to give us the ability to make a better product on the racetrack that the fans expect to see. John will still be a big part of all of that. Richard will be more visible and be the face of the Sprint Cup Series sporting part of NASCAR."

Buck spent last year with IMSA and as managing director of NASCAR's Touring Series, proving a "deep and unique knowledge of motorsports, and his versatility and innovative approach to competition should serve the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series garage extremely well," Helton said.

He worked from 1980 to 2000 as a crew chief, team manager and director of operations with Champ Car teams, and won five Indy 500s as a crew chief with Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr., Al Unser Jr. and Emerson Fittipaldi. He worked with teams in all three NASCAR national series before joining NASCAR in 2005.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    It’s harder to be a poor student in the U.S. than in Russia
  2. 2
    Man fatally stabbed in west Tulsa early Sunday
  3. 3
    How brain imaging can be used to predict the stock market
  4. 4
    Bridenstine tours Fort Sill, satisfied with facility's transparency
  5. 5
    10 Most Popular Wedding 'First Dance' Songs
+ show more