Rio Carnival goes to dogs at canine street party
Although Cica is a Blocao veteran, the party never fails to delight the 10-year-old mini-Pinscher, dressed up for the occasion as a Hawaiian in a tangle of green tinsel, her owner Sonia Rainho said.
"I'm too old for blocos, and to be honest Cica is too, but it wouldn't be Carnival without the Blocao," said 78-year-old Rainho, as she cradled Cica, whose buggy eyes were wide with ill-contained delight.
Among the dogs, the atmosphere was nothing less than cordial. Hardly a snarl was heard. Tails wagged nonstop. A dachshund disguised as a hot dog between two foam buns sniffed at a standard poodle flamenco dancer; a dapper terrier in a bow tie courted a yellow lab with delicate fairy wings.
But tensions were running high among the humans after a police officer breaking up a fight at a neighboring street party brandished his pistol in the midst of the thick crowd.
Although the scare and the subsequent sudden summer downpour may have dampened the mood among the humans, the dogs were unfazed and continued to bark along to the music.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say