SAO PAULO (AP) — Rio de Janeiro Olympic organizers say the employees accused of stealing confidential files from the London Games acted alone and did not intend to harm either organization.
"They acted alone, without the knowledge of their immediate bosses or any other Rio 2016 leaders," the Rio committee said in a statement on Tuesday. "Although they allege that they had no intention of harming either organization, they broke the principles of the mutual trust between the committees."
It said 10 workers had been given access to the files, but were fired because they were not allowed to make copies of the documents without authorization. The committee said the workers had signed a contract prohibiting them from downloading the files.
"These workers didn't have to copy these files without authorization," the committee said. "They could've simply requested them to the LOCOG, which had been cooperating and sharing information."
The statement came a day after Brazil's Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo, the government official in charge of the 2014 World Cup and Olympic preparations, called the episode "lamentable" and "unacceptable." He praised the Rio committee for quickly solving the case.
Rio organizers had been criticized for not disclosing the situation earlier, but it said the investigation only ended last Tuesday.
It said the London team contacted them about the breach on Sept. 1, saying the files were copied by some of the Rio employees who had been working in a knowledge transfer program for about three months. London organizers said they wanted their counterparts to help them find and destroy the downloaded files.