River, Boca win in start of Argentine season
BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Two second half goals helped ten-man River Plate to a 2-1 victory over Belgrano on Sunday, while archrivals Boca Juniors won 3-2 against Quilmes on Saturday in the opening round of fixtures in Argentina's Torneo Final championship.
The games marked the return of famous managers to the Buenos Aires giants, with Ramon Diaz moving back to River and Carlos Bianchi to Boca in the offseason.
In other results on Sunday, Newell's Old Boys got a 3-1 victory against Independiente and Rafaela defeated Racing 3-0.
On Saturday, All Boys and Godoy Cruz drew 1-1, Tigre won 3-1 against Estudiantes and San Martin drew 0-0 against San Lorenzo.
In previous spells with River, Diaz won the league title five times, the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana.
It took until the 67th minute for his side to break through, with Leonel Vangioni striking a fierce left foot shot into a corner of the net from 25 yards (meters).
Carlos Luna doubled the lead in the 88th when he latched onto a flick on from a long ball and finished.
Guillermo Farre pulled a goal back for Belgrano from close range one minute later.
All the goals came after River's Leonardo Ponzio was sent off right after halftime.
Bianchi has won four league titles and three Copa Libertadores for Boca, but his team was 2-0 down inside 10 minutes.
Wilfredo Olivera headed in the first for Quilmes in the 5th and Cristian Menendez increased the lead with a chipped finish in the 9th.
Walter Erviti got one back for Boca in the 38th from close range, before Guillermo Burdisso handed Boca the victory with a second half double.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers