Robert E. Bacharach confirmed as federal appeals court judge
The Oklahoma City magistrate judge's confirmation was delayed by politics for nearly nine months before he was unanimously approved by U.S. Senate
I have never met anybody who knows the Constitution — its limitations, its intent — better than Judge (Robert E.) Bacharach.”
Sen. Tom Coburn,
He was nominated by President Barack Obama for the appeals court vacancy in January 2012, and he easily cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee in early June.
But his nomination got caught up in election-year politics as Senate Republicans refused to allow votes on circuit court nominees in hopes that Mitt Romney would win the White House and replace Obama's nominations with his own.
Senate Democrats tried unsuccessfully in July to break the Republican filibuster of Bacharach's nomination. Despite strong support for Bacharach's nomination, Coburn and Inhofe voted “present,” officially declining to take a stand, but effectively refusing to help break the filibuster.
After the November election, Senate Republicans refused to allow a vote on circuit court nominations in the lame duck session before the last Congress ended, forcing Obama to resubmit Bacharach's name, along with others whose confirmations had been blocked.
Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said the “unprecedented filibuster” by Senate Republicans had deprived states in the 10th circuit of a full appeals court for several months.
Leahy said Republicans had stalled votes on other judicial nominees, who were later confirmed overwhelmingly.
“It's Alice in Wonderland,” he said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims