Rockies-Pirates game postponed by rain
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Clint Hurdle hasn't had an at-bat in a major league game since 1987. The Pittsburgh Pirates manager hasn't thought once about stepping back in either.
Which makes Hurdle all the more in awe of Colorado's Jamie Moyer. The 49-year-old Moyer is only five years younger than Hurdle, and while Hurdle hasn't played in a game in more than two decades, Moyer is still out there finding ways to get guys out.
Moyer became the oldest pitcher to win a major league game after working seven solid innings in a 5-3 victory over San Diego last week.
"It's a wonderful story," Hurdle said. "It's a story that only sport can come up with."
Moyer's chance to break his own record will have to wait a day at least. Colorado's game with the Pirates on Monday night was postponed due to inclement weather. The game will be made up on Wednesday as part of a doubleheader beginning at 12:35 p.m.
The cancellation gives the Pirates an extra day to prepare for Moyer (1-2, 2.55 ERA). The left-hander surrendered six hits in seven innings against the Padres, mixing speeds and using pinpoint control while picking up his first win in nearly two years.
"He's going to battle and he's going to compete and you need to be patient," Hurdle said.
Something the Pirates have struggled to do this season.
Pittsburgh is last in the majors in batting average (.202), runs (30) and next to last in home runs (seven). Yet the Pirates have managed to be a competitive 6-9 while facing the hardest opening month schedule in the National League.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister