The museum opened in 1929, a gift to the city from movie theater magnate Jules Mastbaum. As part of the recent $9 million renovation, sculptures were cleaned and returned to their original positions inside and out while the formal French gardens, fountain and reflecting pool were restored.
There are a dozen casts around the world of "The Burghers of Calais," which commemorates the surrender of six of Calais' prominent residents, or burghers, in 1347 during the Hundred Years' War between England and France. The original cast from 1895 is located in the French port town for which the sculpture is named.
Officially Licensed Sports Gear! Shop 1000's of NFL Team Products.