Ron Franklin discusses new ESPN contract, new Big 12
Although he hasn't been happy with his ESPN assignments in recent years, veteran sportscaster Ron Franklin says he isn't ready to cut his ties with network. He recently agreed to a two-year contract with much fewer assignments — 35 a year compared to up 60 in past years.
NewsOK Related Articles
"When the money came forward, I realized I couldn't do better initially with my freelance work than what they were going to pay me," Franklin said. "So I thought, 'No sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face' so I said, 'Let's give it a try for two years.'"
Franklin, 68, an Austin, Texas, resident, said he is excited that most of the assignments will be in Big 12 country. He's hoping that he and broadcast partner Ed Cunningham will be assigned to the Florida State-OU game at 2:30 p. m. Sept. 11 as new Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher makes his road debut.
"Against a formidable opponent as OU, that's a real test for the Seminoles," Franklin said.
Since Franklin will call 17 football games this season, his basketball assignments will be trimmed the most. In past season, he had done up to three basketball games a week and the travel had taken a toll on him.
"I hate to cut back on anything, particularly basketball, but I think that's the smart thing to do," he said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14189Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12474Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11484OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9977Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8873Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7409Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7240Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated