SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazilian club Palmeiras says it could not reach an agreement with former World Cup veteran Ronaldinho, ending its hopes of signing the player as part of its centennial celebrations Tuesday.
The club said on its official Twitter page that "negotiations between Palmeiras and Ronaldinho" ended after "the parts failed to reach a financial agreement."
The 34-year-old Ronaldinho has been without a club since leaving Atletico Mineiro in July, and talks had been under way for him to sign with Palmeiras for the remainder of the Brazilian league season.
The two-time FIFA world player of the year has hinted he may join a Major League Soccer team in 2015, but until then his goal is to keep playing in Brazil.
Palmeiras, the Brazilian club with the most national titles, celebrated its 100th anniversary on Tuesday.
It was the third time that Palmeiras negotiated to sign Ronaldinho since the player returned to Brazil in 2011 after a successful career in Europe at clubs such as Barcelona and AC Milan.
Ronaldinho ended up joining Flamengo after his return, and a year later moved to Atletico Mineiro, which he led to its first Copa Libertadores title in 2013. That same year, Ronaldinho also helped the club win the traditional Minas Gerais state championship and the Recopa Sudamericana. He scored 28 goals in nearly 90 matches with the club.
Ronaldinho didn't clearly explain why he decided to end his stint with Atletico Mineiro. Local media said he was expected to join a club either in Asia or in the Arab world, but no deal was reached.
Ronaldinho's brother and agent, Roberto Assis, reportedly offered him to several Brazilian clubs in recent weeks, including Corinthians, Santos, Gremio and Fluminense, but all negotiations failed. There were also rumors that the player would join Besiktas in Turkey and Boca Juniors in Argentina.
Continue reading this story on the...