Rookie Harris to protect Rivers vs Raiders
SAN DIEGO (AP) — NFL debuts don't come much bigger than the one Mike Harris will have Monday night for the San Diego Chargers.
The undrafted rookie will be counted on for nothing less than helping to keep Philip Rivers in one piece in the opener on the road against the rival Oakland Raiders.
Harris will start against the team he rooted for as a kid because Jared Gaither, who helped stabilize the floundering Bolts late last season, wants to be fully recovered from back spasms before returning. Gaither has been out since July 28 and the Chargers don't know when to expect him back.
Harris isn't flinching in the face of the big assignment, which is to protect Rivers' blind side.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister